Floating our boat
The Kilsby Co-operative
Built in 1912, in Birmingham, Kilsby was an original mudboat, working widely on the canal system. In the 70s she belonged to Clayton Brothers, who may have installed the wooden cabin.Kilsby came to Oxford in the early 1980s and was part of the struggle for permanent residential moorings. The boat's last owner, Helen McDonald, bought her in 1993 and is donating her to Jericho Living Heritage Trust.
Kilsby's bottom needs replacing and the hull is bulging.The cabin is rotting and she is seriously leaking. She is staying afloat - just - with the aid of pumps. The engine doesn't work.